Johnny Marzetti Casserole is a classic Midwestern dish that originated in Columbus, Ohio. It is a baked pasta casserole that typically includes ground beef, noodles, tomato sauce, and cheese.
Recipe of Johnny Marzetti Casserole
The dish was created by Teresa Marzetti, who sold it for just 45 cents. The recipe has evolved over time, and there are many variations of the dish. Some recipes use Italian sausage instead of ground beef, while others are vegetarian and use vegetables such as mushrooms, zucchini, and bell peppers.
Johnny Marzetti is a comforting and satisfying dish that is perfect for feeding a crowd or as a freezer meal. Here is a recipe for Johnny Marzetti:
- 2 cups dry rotini pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 pound shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions for al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, sausage, and onion over medium heat until the meat is browned and the onion is tender. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9×13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle the shredde cheddar cheese over the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melt and bubbly.
This recipe serves 6 and has approximately 648 calories per serving. You can customize the recipe by using different types of pasta or adding additional vegetables. Johnny Marzetti Casserole can be made ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Variations of Johnny Marzetti
Johnny Marzetti Casserole is a versatile dish that can be customized to suit your taste. Here are some variations of Johnny Marzetti:
- Vegetarian Johnny Marzetti
Replace the ground beef and sausage with your favorite vegetables such as mushrooms, zucchini, and bell peppers. You can also add some spinach or kale for extra nutrition.
- Mexican Johnny Marzetti
Add some taco seasoning to the meat mixture and replace the cheddar cheese with Mexican cheese blend. You can also add some black beans and corn for a southwestern twist.
- Greek Johnny Marzetti
Replace the Italian sausage with ground lamb and add some feta cheese and Kalamata olives. You can also add some oregano and lemon juice for a Mediterranean flavor.
- Pizza Johnny Marzetti
Add some pepperoni, sliced black olives, and green peppers to the meat mixture. Replace the cheddar cheese with mozzarella cheese and sprinkle some Italian seasoning on top.
- Buffalo Chicken Johnny Marzetti
Replace the ground beef and sausage with shredded chicken and add some buffalo sauce to the meat mixture. Replace the cheddar cheese with blue cheese crumbles and sprinkle some chopped celery on top.
These are just a few ideas to get you started. You can experiment with different ingredients and flavors to create your own unique version of Johnny Marzetti Casserole.